Violetti Vaapukka and Alpakkapolku

In Ulla 2/2009 (released in July) there were two patterns that immidiately caught my eye.

The first one was Vaapukka by Kristel Nyberg. I happened to have five skeins (à 50 g) of Novita Bambu I had bought in a sale.

Novita Bambu is 68% bamboo and 32% cotton, very soft and lovely to knit, unless you split the yarn with the needle. Needles used were 3 mm and 3,5 mm.

Violetti Vaapukka

Since the top was knitted from top to bottom, I could easily try it on and add extra length. Aimed for the size ~140 cm, so hopefully the kid will not outgrow it in a rush. It took a bit over four skeins to finish this top.

Violetti Vaapukka

Vaapukka is a simple, yet beautiful pattern. It was relatively fast to knit, though the yarn was on the thin side, but – as usual – it took me a few months to give the finishing touch (this was one project in my “project finish all the 95%’s”). Started this one right after the Ulla 2/2009 was released, and got rid of the ends of the yarn last week.

Violetti Vaapukka

***

The second pattern I queued right away was Pellavapolku by Seija Puusaari.

The pattern was made of linen, but I had no use for a shawl made of linen. Saw some Novita Luxus Alpaca in the store, and thought that it would make a nice lacy shawl. The yarn is 100% alpaca, very soft and lovely to knit. So this project has been called “Alpakkapolku”.

Alpakkapolku

Bought four skeins (50 g), thought that would be enough. Finding the right size needles was a process of trial and error: started off with 3,5 mm, which is the needle size recommended for the yarn. The lace pattern turned out wonderful – for a cardi. There was no lacy effect there. Finally with 6 mm needles the outcome was lacy enough (pictures both above and below are of the same needle size).

Alpakkapolku

Since knitting a rectangular shawl is quite monotonous, I knitted this a bit now and a bit later, in between other projects. By the time I was running out of yarn, I thought one more skein would do no harm.

Alpakkapolku

The lace in the both ends was a drag. The first end was ok, but the second… I knitted up to the point where I thought I’d have enough yarn for the lace pattern. Started knitting the end, and realized that I would seriously run out of yarn. Ripped the end and a bit of the body, and had another go. Ran out of yarn again. Did some more ripping, and some more knitting, and thought of taking a shortcut with the final rows. Instead went and bought one more skein to finish off the final two rows. So the total amount of yarn was just a touch over five skeins, approximately 254 grams.

Alpakkapolku

Weaved in the ends yesterday, so this project was not buried in 95% for ages. Good for me!

Showstopper Sagittaria

This shawl caught my eye right on. I had never knitted a triangular shawl starting in the middle of the neck, let alone casting the knitting from some crochet stitches. Vilma Vuori‘s Sagittaria was bit of a challenge.

Sagittaria shawl

I found the pattern relatively straight forward, once I got the hang of it. The pattern of the body of the shawl took me a while to figure out, how and where it is repeated. Once I figured out the repeating system, it was fairly quick to knit.

Sagittaria shawl

Wanted to make this shawl in red. Found Novita Wool, 100% wool, in red. There’s just a touch of blue in the colour, and the yarn in actually not as bright as in the photos.

I needed almost 4 skeins, each 50 grams, to finish this shawl. I repeated the second chart eight times instead of seven, that was recommended in the pattern.

Used needle of size 5 mm, but I made the casting off with 7 mm needle to make it loose enough, yet even.

Sagittaria shawl

Blocking this shawl wasn’t all that easy, and I didn’t get the arrow-like edging to stand out arrow-like.

Sagittaria shawl

The shawl was more or less finished by September 14th – of last year. I only had the one yarn used in the casting off to weave in.

Instead of weaving it in, I stopped to wonder, whether the casting off was loose enough or not. And I wondered and wondered and…

Now that I’m in the process of getting rid of the 95% ready items, I finally cut the yarn and weaved it in. And I didn’t give another though on the tightness or looseness of the cast off. So here it finally is: finished Sagittaria.

Sagittaria shawl