I look absolutely ridiculous wearing a beanie, so beanies have never been my thing. But everyone needs some headware. Mine are most of the time berets.
Since I needed something to wear in my head, I had a go with a couple of berets found in Ulla.
The first one was Hyrrä (Ulla 2/2008).
Pattern with swirls was simple and elegant (sorry about the unsharp photo).
Yarn Novita Luxus Cloud (wool and bamboo), needles 4 mm. I knitted a few extra rows before decreases, and instead of regular ribbing, I knitted twisted stitches there to keep the shape. I needed an extra strechy bind off, and after serious searching in the Internet, I picked up a bind off with sufficient amount of stretch there.
My second attempt at berets was Hulda (Ulla 1/2009).
Yarn Novita Wool (100% wool), needles size 3,5 mm (ribbing) and 4,5 mm (lace pattern). This beret turned out ever so soft and cosy, thanks to working the lace with oversized needles.
There are a few odd skeins of yarn in my stash. Having toured around Ravelry for quite a bit at Christmas, I finally figured out what I could do out of this nice brownish yarn.
This Baktus is a mini version. Due to miscalculations or bad weighting, I ended up having an annoyingly large amout of yarn after the scarf was finished. The extra yarn was turned into two tassels, one for back and one for the other end.
One end was carefully left without a tassel, because the scarf only is long enough to wear if one end is tucked underneath. So no tassel needed there.