Though most of the time I wear sweaters, I had this urge to have a long warm knitted coat for chilly autumn weather. I had absolutely no idea of the pattern, so I randomly bought 1,5 kg of Novita Isoveli. The perfect needle size for me was 5,5 mm.
Though the yarn is bulky, decided on making cables, because I felt like it. So cables it was. The wider, the better. They turned out wide indeed.
Decided to knit a wide cable in the front and in the middle of the back. To give some shape, knitted in cable all around the waistline.
The collar is all about cables. (And the picture is horrific; should have bothered to set up proper background and proper lighting.)
Instead of ribbing, there’s cable all around the wrist, too.
The hem was knitted afterwards, once I figured out what I wanted. It looks ok on the stockinette part, but should have decreased a few stitches at the cables. Perhaps some blocking might do the trick (yes, I’ve been to lazy to block this jacket, since it would take an eternity to dry).
I improvised the pattern as I went along, and therefore I was bound to do a lot of ripping. It took me a year and a half to complete the coat, because I had to give it a lot of rest to figure out how I really wanted this coat to turn out.
The result is far from perfect, but warm and cosy, and I’ll be sure to wear it.